Hunting and Fishing America Hunting and Fishing America Wed, 12 Oct 2016 01:54:49 +0000 en-US hourly 1 tester Thu, 01 May 2014 01:52:07 +0000


]]> 0
Beach Cam Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:55:51 +0000

Beach Cam is Up!!! Located in Florida

]]> 0
Beach Cam Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:54:12 +0000

Beach Cam Located in Florida


]]> 0
Big Hunt Upcoming Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:54:09 +0000 Continue reading ]]>

We’re setting our sites on what I hope is a truly memorable day December 10th, 2010.  We’ll be looking to do a still hunt this day and I know it’s late in the season but the farm has been left alone for about a month now and the cam shots look promising.  We’re going to be doing a video shoot this day so hopefully success will be captured on film as well!!  Let ya know how we do and maybe some pics to boot.

]]> 0
Africa-“The Dark Continent” A trip outside Maryland worth mentioning Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:35:00 +0000 Continue reading ]]>
My dad, “Charlie” came to me one day and said “Boy” we’re going to Africa… to do a Father/Son hunting safari.  I was surprised by his choice, and slightly skeptical, for I didn’t know a whole lot about Africa, and really never gave it much consideration.  We discussed going for elk and such…but Africa? The BIG GAME destination of the world? OK I’m in. 
     My father had in his possession, numerous flyers, brochures, booklets, etc… he gathered from the Harrisburg Hunting Show held in PA, all of which he handed to me except one, which he held in his hand and said, “This is the place that interest me, Eland Safaris.” ……….
     Pops went on to explain how he met this guy, Larry Reese, the booking agent who was representing this particular “Ranch” for the past 15 years or so.  Dad explained that Larry was a taxidermist from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, very close to our homes.  To make a long story short, my father was very impressed and was ready to book, I on the other hand wanted to conduct my own “Investigation” if you will, not that my dad is a poor judge of character, just because I never take avoidable risks.   
     I am a Police Officer and first and foremost I consider safety more then most.  I wanted to meet this guy Larry Reese and see what this trip was all about as well as him.  If I was going to a foreign land especially Africa, I wanted to know who we were going there with.  Larry was very impressive to say the least.  He answered all my questions and presented me with answers other clients have posed as well.  Larry finally said, “You and your Dad are going to have an outstanding trip, so don’t you worry.   
     Well after touring through his impressive studio, (Check out “Wildlife Artistry” for yourself, he has his own web page), we started the booking process.  Larry took care of all the preparations; all we had to do was show up at the airport with our stuff and passports.
      The flight was long but the airline did their best to accommodate and it was not nearly as bad as I anticipated, as a matter of fact, not bad at all.  I must say I was dreading the flight. 
      No other then the owner/operator of Eland Safaris, Du Toit Leonard, greeted us at the Airport.  I liked this guy immediately.  He and Larry started “Ribbing” each other right off the bat, and you could tell these guys had a strong relationship.  Du Toit lead us to his awaiting SUV, packed up the gear and off to Eland Safaris.  Du Toit said, you guys are going to have a great time, and if you don’t “THEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU”. 
      I guess the trip from the airport was about an hour or so, but it seemed much, much shorter with all the talk of hunting going on.  I have to point out Larry carefully booked us with a third guy, “Bunky” and he was with us the whole time.  Great guy, and now a friend for life… but enough about “Bunky”…great guy, a lot of fun, back to Africa.
      We arrived at the lodge “Eland Safaris”, and as we approached we observed waterbucks running through the thickets.  We just showed up at this place and HOLY COW …these things were huge, much bigger then the whitetail of home, the blood was already pumping.
      We pulled up to the Lodge/restaurant and some of Du Toit’s family members met us outside to greet us and invited us into the restaurant.  We were told to leave our bags; it would be taken care of, at which point the staff put our equipment and bags into our rooms (very nice private rooms) while we went into the restaurant. 
      My dad, “Bunky” and I walked into the restaurant and met the rest of Du Tois’ family, PH’s and friends and we were immediately taken in as FRIEND/FAMILY, not client.  I cannot emphasize enough, I have never met such a warm bunch of people right from start and it continued through out the entire trip. 
      I already conceded in the first hour of our arrival that if we were not fortunate enough to get any game, the trip was going to be a special one with or with out the animals.
      The Leonard family provided well prepared, 1st class meals served in the first rate restaurant heated by the indoor campfire.  You will miss the smell of the lodge, it’s a campfire aroma accented with preparation of the food.  You will love it and miss it…
     If you’re lucky Aloma, Du Toit’s wife, will serve the “House Specialty”…it’s a treat you won’t forget. (Ask for the KUDU oysters)
      The Internet pictures do not do the lodge justice, it’s much warmer and full of life and it’s their home.  Du Toit essentially opened up his home; arms opened wide and invited us in to become part of his family.  The only time we left the comfort of the lodge was to embark out to different ranches; they call them “Concessions”.  My dad and I didn’t want to go anywhere else; it was all there, although going to the different concessions was an added treat.
      The hunting was phenomenal.  We were led by the hunting professionals, known as the “PHs” who were good and long time friends of Du Toit.  Frik and Cobie were like family to the Leonards and they treated us like life long friends.  They too, I will consider life long friends.  Coincidentally they too were Police (CSI investigators), taking their vacations to guide our hunts, which to me meant a lot, so I thank you, both Frik and Cobie (pronounced strangely enough as “Quiby”).  
     Each morning, we were greeted with coffee and a nice breakfast.  During breakfast Du Toit laid out the day’s itinerary, which was always subject to change at a moment’s notice, always for the better, keeping in mind, each day started out with incredible expectations.
      The hunting with respect to keeping this as short as possible was truly amazing, in all aspects.  The equipment provided was with out flaw, the scenery was amazing, and the animals were in plenty, all sorts of species.  Each concession held its own charm as well as different species to pursue. 
      Each day, dad, “Bunky” and I hunted together which enabled us to share the experience directly and provided great opportunity for photos and “Film”.  I used four cassette tapes in my camcorder, so bring plenty of memory cards and batteries.  There are so many animals you will want to photograph.  The days went by in an absolute flash, so document your time with camera, and you may want to keep a note pad with you, just for recollection purposes.  The days flew by with out delay and before you know it you’ll be back on the plane wondering where the time went, and trying to figure how you’re going to manage another trip. 
     Each day, each animal, was the “One of a Lifetime”.  I’ve never done so much hand shaking and hugging, in a manly kind of way, of course…these days spent with my father at Eland Safaris will always be cherished.  The memories were captured on film but most importantly burnt in my heart forever.
      I look forward to taking my boys, to give them what my father gave to me, thanks dad and mom, you two are the best, what a birthday gift!  Hopefully Dad will once again be there right beside me during this time.

See Africa to the left for more Photos and click link below for the video

]]> 0
2010 Hot Shot!, or “Cool Hand Luke” Fri, 03 Dec 2010 05:47:00 +0000 Continue reading ]]>
Some guys have been struggling a little this year but one of my buddies is on fire.  Bunky Mcallister whom I met while on an absolute phenomenal African Hunt has definitely had the hot hand this year, the kind of year that can be compared to an entire lifetime of success for some hunters.  Here is the scoop of this years success for Bunky.
September 17th Buck #1 Scores 130 and some change with his Vertical Bow
Buck #2, after taking two does in the morning of the 18th of Sept, he takes this big boy that Scored 125
Well were not finished yet.  After the refinancing of his home and figuring that he could afford just one more wall hanger he just took this fine deer that has yet to be scored, so you’ll have to make the call.  Bunky took this big boy, Buck #3 on November27th at 8am.
Looks like Bunky is going to have to buy another freezer too.  Way to go on a fantastic season Bunky!, Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

]]> 0
Big Sika taken in Wicomico County Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:34:00 +0000 Continue reading ]]>
Charlie Schline has been really enjoying his recent retirement and has been avidly pursuing his many quests.  Over the course of the last couple of years Charlie has traveled to Africa, hunting African plains game, ocean fishing regularly and has been very successful in taking some nice whitetail bucks but something had been missing.  Charlie has never taken a Sika deer and his farm in Wicomico County has been seeing an increasing number of Sika but only three had been taken over the last 8 years and none prior to that.  The first was taken in 2004 by his son-in-law Chris Macmillan (a slob 6point Sika), the second by his daughter Shelly Macmillan (hind) and the third by his brother, Jess Sirkle, a nice 6 point, but Charlie had not received his chance.  Charlie had been seeing a few Sikas on cam shots but nothing by light, and his quest had been intensifying over the years, but yesterday things would go in the favor of “goodoleboy” Charlie.  On 11-30-10 at approximately 1530 hrs Mr. Sika tried to sneak past Charlie but he was all over him.  Charlie said there was no mistaking this animal with its dark coat delicately navigating his wooded Wicomico farm.  After recognising the coat, Charlie noticed it was also sporting a respectable rack and he squeezed off the trigger of his old reliable 30-30 and the quest was completed, the Sika dropped in its tracks.  Congratulations Charlie, you have once again made your son proud, Great Job Dad    
]]> 0
2004 Trophy Sika Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:47:00 +0000 Continue reading ]]>

 Maryland Gazette, Oct 6, 2004 | by Bill Burton
It was a most unusual sight. The deer that had just been weighed remained near the scales, but grown men were stepping up to be weighed, one after another. As the procession ended, they were convinced though it was still hard to believe,
‘Tis said a few things can be pretty much taken for granted such as the light meter on a camera, a compass – and among deer hunters, the scales. There might be slight variations, but generally the readings are fairly accurate.
Still, who could believe that chunky sika deer close by could tip the scales at 126 pounds?

Why that’s unheard of. A 75-pound stag will draw hunters from miles around a weighing station just for a look-see, I’ve never even heard of a nimrod reputed to be of the exaggerating type ever claiming he saw one on the hoof that would have weighed in at much over 85 pounds – even when deer tales and drink made an interesting evening at camp.
As each of those men who tested the scales at Bullock’s Deli in Denton stepped down, he had to agree 126 was accurate. Christopher Macmillan of Pasadena had indeed got himself a deer that would be talked about a long time on the sika trail. The weights of the skeptical had checked out, so that had to be the poundage.
That stag had a neck and a chest somewhat akin to that of a wild boar, why the girth of the neck was 22 inches – only 2 inches shy of that on the 10-point buck of 147 pounds Macmillan bagged in ’02. He said it was three times as big as any sika he ever saw, but he had only seen one previously. He didn’t send an arrow in its direction after it shrilled at him – it appeared to be of only about 40 pounds – and now he’s happy he passed it up.
Another curious aspect of his trophy is that it came not from Dorchester, the county maybe best known for sikas in the U. S., or even Worcester or Somerset. This prize was taken on the Wicomico County farm of his father-in-law Charlie Schline. Schline had reservations about his son-in-law’s ID of a sika on his property. He had never before seen one on the farm.
So as if to prove his point, a few days later Macmillan went hunting again from a different stand, and at daybreak not far from a cornfield backed up against a small stream a stag started its bugling routine.
“Something nice he hear at shooting time,” said the 33-year-old hunter.
When the bugling stopped he said he heard a racket as if something was wallowing in the leaves; five minutes later at 7:45. from his right came the second live sika he had ever seen.
“To be truthful, I still wasn’t impressed,” said Macmillan, who added when the stag got about 25 yards away it appeared he might depart.
The hunter bleated with his mouth, the deer stopped, Macmillan scored with an arrow in the chest. The stag dropped, but the coups de grace required a second shot at about 30 yards from the tree stand.
“I thought it was of about 100 pounds,” said Macmillan, “Remember it was only the second I had ever seen and at the checking station I had put 90 pounds on the game tag.”
Had that been the end of it all that trophy would have been remembered as just a another sika of unusual size in the Department of Natural Resource’s records. But when the deer came from the trunk of the hunter’s vehicle. it was decided to put it on the scales. Seeing’s believing.
So big is the sika that Anne Arundel County taxidermist Ray Hitchcock is unable to come up with a plastic sika mold big enough for the mounting job, and Macmillan says there probably will be a bit of modifying with an elk form for an appropriate fit. He wants enough of his prize mounted to give viewers an idea of the size of its neck and shoulders.
Though impressive it’s rack has some shortcomings. The right antler is a perfect 4 points, says Macmillan, but the other is somewhat split like that of an elk.
Once the rack has dried out and a measure taken by a representative of Pope & Young it could be declared of from 6 to 8 points. Records for wildlife bearing horns or antlers are kept, not on the basis of weight, but by antler width, beam, balance, points and such, so what undoubtedly is the biggest sika ever taken in Maryland (and hard to beat anywhere, if at all possible by weight) might not go down in the record books.
Macmillan accepts that, he’s not that much into big game records – and nothing can take away his satisfaction of scoring high in his quest for big game. Computers across the state have been busy punching in messages from other hunters who want to know the particulars. No one has heard of such a big sika, and Macmillan acknowledges that some are probably dubious. But, he read the scales himself.
One might figure, Macmillan is in the same boat as Wayne Hall of Northeast who got a record that wasn’t really a record. On the last day of the firearms season of 1970, Hall shot a notable whitetail buck; fine antlers, and awesome weight. That deer taken at Elk Neck State Forest weighed in at 362 pounds, probably the tops ever in Maryland. But nowhere in any state records is mention of his feat.

Though sikas are confined to the lower Eastern Shore, one might say a “cult” has developed among those who hunt them. Sika numbers are only a tiny fraction of Maryland’s deer population ruled, of course, by those of the whitetail variety. But those on the sika trail are a dedicated lot – valued because they are challenging targets. They are more nocturnal that whitetails, often much more wary, are farther off the beaten track – and they are different.
On the lower Shore, more than a few guides and outfitters have built a profitable and busy service catering to hunters across the country, especially those with the bow. Not many other states host these exotic Asian deer that arrived in this country at the turn of the century in a private Dorchester County “zoo.” In 1916, four or five were released on James Island in Dorchester County, later some showed up at nearby Taylor Island, and now a sizable population is evident in Worcester (Assateague Island and elsewhere thereabouts) and Dorchester.
Some old records indicate that years ago, a 109-pounder was taken on the lower shore.
 Maryland Gazette, Oct 6, 2004 | by Bill Burton

The above article was written by Bill Burton for the Md Gazette.  Bill has left us now but will this “Record” taken By Chris Macmillan live on and be formally recognized as the biggest Sika ever taken in Maryland?

I surely hope this truly magnificent Sika is at some point formally recognized in the record books as it should.  Very nice Job Chris!
Photos by Jay Schline

]]> 0
Annual Fish Fry 2010 Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:46:00 +0000 Continue reading ]]>

Sometimes nothing beats a little Perch Jerk’n’ and a hungry family.  We went out and gathered up a nice batch of perch to share with our family and the night finally ended the next day at about 4am.  Sometimes it’s the little things that are nice in life, we had a fun filled day.

]]> 0
Some 2010 Maryland Success Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:39:00 +0000 Continue reading ]]>
Me (Jay) and my boy “Hunter’s” opening day view together, watching a Piebald cross out at the little “Island”, later taken by my sister Shelly, pics below!!  We saw 8 deer from this location in Caroline County opening morning.
Shelly with her trophy Piebald taken in Caroline County, MD on the Macmillan Ranch!!
Maryland Youth Success!!
Kenny Monson’s Buck
Steve Monson on Maryland’s Eastern Shore
Steve MOMO’s Buck
]]> 0